Saturday, July 24, 2010

Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine blog

I took part in a promotion with the Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine, saying that if they sent me a free issue, I would blog about it. This is for their May/June issue--talk about being a little late!!!

I replied to one of the magazine's emails (telling me they were looking forward to reading my blog about the issue), saying I would most likely do the blog in installments. Whenever I buy a collection of short stories or an anthology, I rarely read through the entire thing all at once. The result is many books half read.

None of this means absolutely anything to anyone who could possibly be reading this... but still, I figured I would explain. This has been a long time coming, after all.

I have not read the entire May/June issue of Fantasy & Science Fiction. I hope to read more soon and continue the blog.

I did, however, read one story that really stood out to me, titled "The Atchinson, Topeka & Sante Fe." I loved the realistic way the author, Robert Onopa, presents the story. In some ways, I want to describe the story as being Toy Story gone awry, since we get a futuristic train set, complete with a full town of toy people, with all too real toys who slowly take on more and more human characteristics. I say the story is presented in a realistic way because in no way are any of the human characters surprised with the toys who can interact with them--there is nothing strange about that in the story's world.

I won't go into grand detail about the story--even though I suppose many people have already bought and read the issue if they were going to--but this was a fun, well told story, even though I could see where it was going (it was still a pleasure getting there with Onopa).

I started reading the story "Remotest Mansions of the Blood" but did not get all the way through it. I should give it another go sometime soon. The title is cool and somewhat connotes a story I didn't get when I started reading it.

I'll return with more blogs about the issue... and who knows, maybe this'll become something where I can put my deepest most inner thoughts to share with all the internet... yeah, not likely, is it?! It could, however, be a way for me to get back on track with my fiction writing or to talk about other various reading I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment